The Duke Men's Basketball Program contacted UT about developing a dedicated site in June of 2007. Along with three other agencies we met with the Duke team on their campus for presentations and questions. In mid-July we got the word we had been chosen. Coach K is originally from Chicago, two former players (Deng and Duhon) were on the Bulls roster at the time, and Jon Scheyer from Northbrook was on the current team, so along with us doing the website there was a nice little Chicago connection with Duke.
The result was college basketball's first dedicated program website. Content was broken out into nine sections dedicated to all things Duke Basketball: Blogs & Articles, Crazies, National Spotlight, Coach K, Cameron Indoor, Player’s Lounge, Culture & Tradition, BP TV, and Off the Court.
Some of the many highlights of the site include:
- “Player Video Blogs” – one of the favorite fan features showcases player’s behind the camera from trips to other Duke sporting events, to former players back on campus, to facility tours, and more.
- “Meet the Crazies” – you’ve heard about the them, you’ve seen them on tv, now you can meet them.
- “K-Ville Worldwide” – an interactive feature that allows fans to add and customize their tent online from anywhere in the world.
- “Coach K’s Whiteboard” – using Coach K’s actual writing as a font and showcasing some of his favorite words and their meaning.
- “Cameron Indoor Historical Slideshow” – showcasing the history of Cameron from its early days through today with captions for each photo.
- “BP for the Record” – a section focusing on Duke stats for academics, ACC, Coach K, national spotlight, players in the NBA, NCAA tournament, in the polls, and number of wins.
- “Basketball & Beyond” – includes a profile of every player to wear the Duke uniform throughout history, and their current occupation.
- “The Duke Experience: – photo tour with detailed captions of some of the integral parts that make up life at Duke.
DukeBluePlanet.com became the most in-depth college sports program website online, and took the dedicated team site concept to entirely new level.